Sunday, May 1, 2016

Masking Tape Shoes

              The first project I completed this semester was the construction of a pair of shoes using only masking tape. In order to better understand the construction of a pair of shoes, I decided to purchase and deconstruct a cheap pair of canvas shoes. This was much easier said than done, as the deconstruction process led to more than a few cuts and scratches. I was pleased with the end result, and if I am ever stranded on a deserted island with nothing but duct tape, I will at least know how to make a pair of shoes to protect my feet.  

Phase 1: Paper mock-up
Sole: Tape was rolled to create bulk

Displayed in a shoebox


Detail of eyelets, laces and stitching
Original and Replica

Sole texture was accomplished by embossing pattern with a white paint pen

No comments:

Post a Comment