Sunday, May 1, 2016

Architecture Relief

For my architecture relief, I drew inspiration from a few of my favorite architectural styles, including:

Mid-Century Modern 


Rococo 

and Traditional Japanese



I began by sketching out a few ideas for how to incorporate these styles in a cohesive way.
Preliminary Sketch:


Revised Sketch:


In order to create the Japanese-inspired stone base, I affixed balls of masking tape to two pieces of foam board and covered them with more masking tape. 

To make the masking tape look more like stone, I mixed together white gesso and black india ink to create a medium grey. 


The second layer was constructed using black and white foam board, black masking tape, and tracing paper. 

The Rococo details on the third layer were created by applying thin layers of wood glue to a plastic mold. Once dry, the pieces were carefully peeled from the mold, glued to pieces of foam board, and painted an opalescent white. 


The finished product:

Overall, I was pleased with the final result. I enjoyed finding innovative ways to use the assigned materials, and I think I came pretty close to replicating what I had envisioned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment